Monday, September 29, 2008

The Seasons

Is it me, or is there a problem with setting the font on this blog...In order to get the font I want, I have to first start writing...or would that be typing...or would that be keyboarding??? Anyway...in order to get the font I want, I have to start in, then highlight what I have, then select the font...this just doesn't seem right, but it works, and it's with no big effort on my part, I can accomplish what I need to get...it's just irritating, what with this world of instant this and that, and the amazing abilities of the computer, that there should be a program that is less that perfect.

I was awaken this morning by the approaching thunderstorm...I looked at the clock...it was 4:08 am, and in four minutes I could hear the rain on the tree outside my opened window. My first thought was..."Oh no...I forgot to turn off the automatic lawn sprinkler system!" I meant to do it several days ago, but it seems as every time I head for the garage, where the controls are, I encounter something in my path to make me lose my focus...so here I am at 4:13 am, putting on my shoes and headed for the garage!...after which, I decided to check the weather on the TV...I tuned in just in time for the advertisements, so decided to surf the channels to see if I could find the weather anywhere else. I got to channel 8 and my attention was diverted to the, causes, symptoms and cures of stress...not only in humans but in a couple of different kinds of monkeys too...some of it had to do with hierarchy. Then there was inflicted stress. They even studied the effect stress had on the fetus of extremely stressed mothers. It all came down to the need to lighten up and seek out what we enjoy, and to laugh...that laughter really is healing! Then I went back to bed and slept for another couple of hours. In the meantime, the cold front had pushed it's way through, letting us know Fall is here.

Speaking of Fall...that was always my sister's favorite season...I couldn't understand why, because my dread of cold weather was so all consuming, I completely missed the enjoyment of the beautiful leaves, the wonderful weather...it only meant to me that Winter was on it's way...the terrible dreaded Winter.

Yesterday a friend called whom I hadn't talked to in over a year...I told her we were able to miss most of the awful Winter, Kansas and most of the rest of the country had to endure last year, as we were in Florida...she laughed at me and said..."I loved it...it was wonderful!" (I was reminded...it's all in your perspective.)

Actually I'm not all that crazy about HOT weather either...My husband would go to New Orleans or San Antonio (his two favorite cities) in the heat of the Summer...but after doing it a couple of times, I've decided they're on our Winter itinerary from here on out.

I love the Spring when everything is renewed...in the early Spring, you'll find me spending every spare minute on the sun porch, watching for each new plant awakening. Never before this year, had I had the opportunity to just set and watch Spring unfold, but I was convalescing, having had double knee replacement March 31. It gave me the perfect excuse to lay out here and watch hour by hour, each and every little leaf and sprig of grass pop through and grow.

...and now...here I set...on the computer...eating a pear from our own pear tree. I noticed a couple of days ago, the leaves in the top of the maple tree are beginning to turn red ...beautiful, but still a little ominous...Winter IS on it's way.

No comments: